Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Review: Vengeful (Villains #2) by V. E. Schwab

Image result for vengefulTitle: Vengeful (Villains #2)
Author: V.E. Schwab
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 480 (Hardcover)
Publisher: Tor
Publication date: September 25th, 2018

Synopsis from Vengeful's Goodreads page

Eli Ever and Victor Vale were only medical students when their mutual discovery that near-death experiences can, under the right conditions, manifest extraordinary abilities.

They were best friends, and rivals, and then enemies. They were dead, then alive, and then---Eli killed Victor, once and for all.

Or so he thought---but Sydney Clarke felt otherwise, and used her own superpower to tip the scales. Now, a trio hides in the shadows, while another takes advantages of post-death life to take over the city of Merit.

If there can be life after death—will there be calm after vengeance, or will chaos rule?


THOUGHTS

 Victoria Schwab has always been, and always will be, one of my all time favourite authors. That has unquestionably been cemented with this book.
I really enjoyed every single thing about this book, which isn't something I say often.
Her characters, new and old, are absolutely perfect. I loved being able to see the growth from her older characters, and being able to have new characters come in and still be able to grow as heroes and villains in such a fast-paced book.
I loved how evil her characters have become - in the first book we see two university students that unquestionably have evil in them, but they still have some good at heart. I loved seeing how them, and other characters, grew into more evil, more dark characters, and that made them feel even more real (even though, well, they're evil).
I also loved how this story jumped between time periods. I normally hate it when a novel does that, but honestly there is not other way that this could have worked as well as it did had that not been a part of the story. I loved being able to see so much more about these characters through looking at their backstories, and that allowed me to see them as more real (well, as real as people with ExtraOrdinary abilities can be).
I also loved the feeling of this story. It was so dark and twisted, and it was the perfect read for this time of the year. I loved the spookiness of it and the darkness that was hidden around every corner.
Another thing that V.E. Schwab does so well is pull you into a story. You can pick up one of her huge books and start reading it, and the next thing you know you've devoured the whole book and still want more (I know I BEGGED for a second book but I need a third one NOW).
Her books are so amazing, from her characters, to her settings, plot, and just everything in between. Even the words she chooses, and the way she writes, and just the feeling you get while you read her books, is absolutely amazing. Please read anything and everything by her that you can get your hands on.
Overall - ★ 
Find my review of Vicious (Villains #1) here!

No comments:

Post a Comment