Friday, January 1, 2016

December 2015 Wrap-Up

I read a total of 4 books in December, and am halfway through what will be my first read of 2016, which I'm perfectly okay with, because the holidays are a time for friends and family.


I read:
  • ★★★★★ Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
  • ★★★★★ Landline by Rainbow Rowell
  • ★★★★★ Humans Of New York: Stories by Brandon Stanton
  • ★★★★☆ A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens


The first book I read this month was Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, and I loved every single page of it. Carry On is the seventh and final installment of the fictional series of Simon and Baz, a story that Rainbow Rowell created for Fangirl, also written by Rainbow. I loved each and every page of this amazing novel, and I just couldn't put it down. I've loved each book I have read by Rainbow Rowell, but I have to say, this one is by far my favourite. The characters were all amazing, and the storyline and setting were extremely well built, not to mention that it wrapped up every single loose end in the book. It was supposed to be a seventh book, but it didn't feel like it, which I am glad for. (Maybe there will be another? Maybe? Probably not...). If you want to hear more on my thoughts of this book, I have a full review up under the review section of my blog!

The second book I read this month, because of how much I loved Carry On, was Landline by Rainbow Rowell. I picked up Landline basically as soon as I had completed Carry On, because I was really in the mood for more Rainbow Rowell. It was probably my least favourite of her books, not that it was a bad book, it was amazing, but I cried so much while I was reading it, I don't know if I will read it again soon. It was such a sad, heart-wrenching book, that it was actually painful to read at times. The story line started off at a very sad spot, and it just kept getting sadder and sadder and harder for me to read as the story progressed, but I managed to finish it, and I absolutely loved it. Now that I know how it ends, I will be reading it again without a doubt, but just probably not anytime soon. I need a real pick me up after this book!

The third book I read this month was a photography book, so it wasn't much reading. I am in love with Brandon Stanton's "Humans of New York" Instagram account, and blog, and his first photography book, Humans of New York, so when I saw the second one on the shelf, I bought it without even thinking twice. It was the same idea as the first one, but with more stories of the people in the photographs, which I absolutely loved. It was an extremely easy to rate, five out of five star book.

On Christmas Day, since I was in the middle of a slight reading slump and since I had just gotten 5 new books for Christmas, I figured I should pick up something small, so I read Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. It was a very short, very light read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't get the chance to watch a version of the movie this Christmas, so reading it, for the first time as well, made it a very enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment