Thursday, June 2, 2016

Review: The Raven King (The Raven Cycle #4) by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: The Raven King
Series: The Raven Cycle #4
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: Fantasy/Realistic Fiction/Paranormal
Age group: Young Adult
Pages: 438 (Hardcover)
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publication date: April 26th, 2016


**The below synopsis may contain spoilers if you have not read The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves or Blue Lily, Lily Blue. My review beneath is spoiler free**


Synopsis from The Raven King's Goodreads page


Nothing living is safe. Nothing dead is to be trusted.


For years, Gansey has been on a quest to find a lost king. One by one, he’s drawn others into this quest: Ronan, who steals from dreams; Adam, whose life is no longer his own; Noah, whose life is no longer a lie; and Blue, who loves Gansey… and is certain she is destined to kill him.

Now the endgame has begun. Dreams and nightmares are converging. Love and loss are inseparable. And the quest refuses to be pinned to a path.



I was so scared going into this book from what we learn throughout this series. This book came out a month ago, and it took me an entire month to build up the mental state in order to sit down and actually read it.
Maggie Stiefvater is an author that I would literally read her grocery lists, she's that amazing. So even though I was so scared, I knew that I would absolutely love whatever would happen in this book.
I found this book to be nowhere near as dark as I was expecting, which I was very happy about. I personally am not a large fan of the final book in a series being extremely dark and depressing, so I was very content with how this book was written. It did have its dark parts and people, but overall the book was not what I would consider to be depressing.
I love the characters in this series so insanely much, and I just love them all so much more after reading this book. All of the characters in this book lined up perfectly with who they were and who they have been throughout this entire series, and they all grew into very different people in the end, but in a good way. (I'm so looking forward to re-reading this series and seeing how much of a baby everyone is in the beginning compared to the end).
The storyline in this book was very all over the place, but in a good way. The whole series has been leading up to one single realization and find, and I feel that they way it was written and the way it was portrayed could not have been any better.
A lot of this book I found was very repetitive, but I also feel that it was necessary in order for the series, and this book specifically, to go where it needed to go. Other than being repetitive, the writing style in this was flawless - as is per usual for Maggie Stiefvater. Her writing is so beautiful and it flows so well, and it is amazing to read. (Especially for an aspiring author like myself, reading her writing makes me passionate about words and characters even more than I already am).
I cannot emphasize enough how much I love this series, and how much I want everyone to read at leas the first book. These books are amazing and I can't believe this series is over. Four years of my life have been waiting for the final book, and I am so content with how this series ended. Although, there was a slight hint of another series at the end of this book...Hopefully we will get more about the raven boys and about Blue Sargent!
Overall - ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment