Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Review: Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon


Title: Dragonfly In Amber (Outlander #2)
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Genre: Historical fiction/Fantasy (adult)
Pages: 947 (Mass market paperback)
Publisher: Bantam Dell
Publication date: October 9th, 2001 (Original date - 1992)


**The below synopsis will contain spoilers if you have not yet read Outlander**


Synopsis from Dragonfly In Amber's Goodreads page


For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland's majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ...about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ...and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his ....
Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire's spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ...in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ...and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....


"Oh, Claire, ye do break my heart wi' loving you." You break mine too Jamie, mine too.
I finished Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon last night, and I am still at a loss for words. As I read my way through the book, I cried, laughed, loved, and cried some more. (There was a lot of crying involved in this book, and I don't cry very easily). I have never felt such strong emotions for a character as I did for Jamie and for Claire, and I have never loved a book and its characters and story as much as I have this one. The last 100 pages made me feel even stronger about all of the characters then I had through the entire book, and I sobbed like a baby the whole time. This book was AMAZING.
I had some doubts once I read the synopsis, knowing that it takes place 20 years after Outlander, and that made me hold back on reading it for a couple months. I was very nervous that we wouldn't have as much Jamie as we had in the first book, and I didn't want my views of Claire and of Jamie to change, if they were different people from the ones they were in Outlander. Eventually, with enough curiosity and prodding from my friends on Instagram, I decided that I should give it a go, and man am I glad that I did.
Not only was I able to connect so well with all of the characters, but the story was just as intriguing and grabbing as the first book. Everyone had stayed the same loving, (if not violent - it is 1744 Scotland) and humorous characters that I had fallen in love with in Outlander, when we were introduced to them all those pages ago. I highly recommend this series, it is so beautiful and it will definitely make you feel all of the things!
Overall - ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment