Thursday, September 3, 2015

August 2015 Wrap Up

So, August wasn't the best reading month for me, sadly. I spent a lot of my month working, and I started up both my book blog and my bookstagram this month, resulting in a lot of time going towards setting them up and getting them out there instead of reading. I managed to read 4 books this month, and they were all very good!
  • We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach ★★★★☆
  • Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid ★★★★★
  • Distant Waves by Suzanne Weyn ★★★★☆
  • Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon ★★★★★
I realize that only four books in a month, especially during the summer, isn't a whole lot, but in my defence I worked pretty much the whole month, and Dragonfly In Amber is 947 pages...

I read We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach very quickly at the beginning of the month, because I had taken it out from the library and I needed to finish it. I really liked the idea of it, and how the story was told from multiple point of views, but after awhile it started to become very confusing and I found that a lot of the characters' thoughts were written in a very similar way. I had to keep flipping back to the beginning of the chapter to see who the character was, and I did zone out every once in awhile while I was reading it. It was a very enjoyable read though, and I think that Tommy Wallach did a great job with it.

I quickly picked up Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid right after I finished We All Looked Up, because I was still in the mood for a light, quick contemporary book, and I was not disappointed! Each character was complex and had their own personality, past, and story. I could connect with each and every character from their uniqueness and complexity, whether it was through road tripping, stress from school and the future, loss, or love. The writing style was very cute and light (as it is a contemporary novel) but also very grabbing and full of suspense. It was an amazing story, and I loved every second of it.

Distant Waves by Suzanne Weyn sat on my shelf, untouched, for six years (kind of insane, when I think about it), and I kind of regret not reading it sooner. I read the entire book in about two days, which was pretty easy since it's summer and it's only 330 pages, with a large font. I was expecting more of a historical fiction type of book, with information about the Titanic and the time period, but it had more about magic and ghosts then about the Titanic. I was surprised, and slightly disappointed, but the book was still very good, if maybe for a bit of a younger audience then I expected. Overall though, a very interesting, quick read.

Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon is the best book I read in August, and one of the best books I've read this whole year. It was beautifully written, and all of the characters that I had fallen in love with in Outlander made me fall even further in love with them. There is a full review to this book under the review page of my blog, if you want more information!

No comments:

Post a Comment